Thursday, November 15, 2007

About a month ago, I found out that the Anglican Church of Canada was facing a potential schism partly over same-sex union. I also thought I had found a Church to attend...it is a great Church, really nice people and I really like the Pastor...but I was saddened to discover this particular Church in the throws of Church Politics and swaying towards a literal interpretation of the Bible, english translation...same-sex union is not to be honoured.
As a person, I believe that individuals have the right to love and come into their identity and be loved, regardless of sexual orientation.
As a believer, in God, I feel that the God that I believe in loves all people, regardless of their sexual orientation.
I realize that this may be in conflict with what the Bible states...and I don't know how to answer all the questions surrounding same-sex union...but I know that my God loves.

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another as I have loved you"
John 13:34

---

When my Mum called me this morning, she was telling me about how some of the younger nurses wanted to leave their jobs because they didn't like the atmosphere (short staffed, mismanagement etc...oy yvay, government jobs) and they would do so as soon as they came into something else.

After my Mum was called back into work one time, having already worked a shift and been on her days off, one of these younger nurses said something to the effect of, you're back, and she said, well yeah, we're short staffed, and this person said, sure, you're here for the money. My Mum said, no, actually, I'm here to help.

My Mother, she loves her job. Sometimes she needs (and deserves) to complain about it...but she loves her job. What's more, she loves helping people...whether it's a patient or filling in for someone who's called in sick.

The best thing that my Mother ever taught me and that I know she truly believes, was the 'golden rule'. Paraphrased, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

In this life, competition motivates us a lot, but so does a kind act if you recognize it, appreciate it and return it, to someone.

Yeah, my Mom's pretty freaking awesome. I'm lucky.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Attempt to love the homosexual even while condemning homosexual activity as a sin that they feel is hated by God. As St. Augustine who said "Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum".

Kate UF said...

I definitely don't think of homosexual activity as a sin. I'm clear on this...I'm praying now for the Anglican Church and the 'political'/social ramifications...I hope that the community won't lose sight of the important stuff, like GOD and kindness and love. Politics and Religion have the same shortcomings...but, I refuse to stop caring about either...

KATE