Sunday, February 24, 2008











NAPOLI!
Despite the fact that Naples is and has been suffering from a Garbage crisis due to....hmmm, corruption and mismanagement...this city is beautiful. I immediately felt very relaxed and at home in Naples...probably because the sea is right there, facing you always...and, I just plain liked the people.

Enrico's friend Andrea lives there and I am certain that this greatly affected my opinion because he is truly one of the coolest people that I've met. I felt like we had always been friends. Not to mention the fact that his Mother invited us for lunch at their home and MY GOD, can that woman cook!!! This luncheon was nicknamed, the SINISTRO, because of our jokes about her preparing this meal for days, sleeping on the kitchen floor waiting for us to come....hahaha....no, really, it was AMAZING.

I must also say, Naples, for me... seems to be like an archipielago that has no true centre...i felt directionless, which was great...let me explain, as we drove around, it seemed that we were winding up and down streets towards i-dont-know-where...and-i-never-knew-where. I generally catch my bearings in most places, but in Naples, it didn't happen for me. I loved it.

I will however, be worrying for the people of Naples. The garbage crisis is longstanding...things aren't getting any better from what I understand and the problem is simply being shifted around instead of being addressed directly.
It made me think of this science fiction movie "Soylent Green" that I watched for my Geography class. I hope that the Italian government a)gets itself together b)takes action to solve this problem from the root of the problem.

And the world can learn a few things from this crisis because it is a global enviro-political issue that we'll all be facing sooner or later.

This seems like a very 'dark and gloomy' end to my post...but truly, I'm sad for the state of the region and the people who live there.
I'm being reminded right here in my own home by Shanesya how important and easy it is to recycle. There is really no excuse not to recycle. I can be very lazy about it, but really, there is no room to be lazy about it because recycling is a necessary effort at the micro level if we are to have an impact on a global scale. It's that simple. Don't be lazy. Recycle. (End of propagandistic blog message).
:-)

No comments: