Monday, February 27, 2006

Kate Price
TIFLE
Dr. Lord
February 1st, 2006
Week long BLOG stalking log.
BLOG #1
http://europeanethnocentrism.blogspot.com/
Given the recent elections and change of governmental powers in Canada, I was searching
http://www.blogger.com/ for any Canadian content and/or other frustrated Canadian liberals: I ended up at this strange blog titled ‘European Ethnocentrism’, and even though the title was creepy…I continued to read the blog postings and they were actually interesting containing often times random but entertaining comments about current international news events. Therefore, if I gained nothing else from this blogger’s perspective, I at least updated my current news issues (“Gene Explains Asians' Resistance to Angina Drug” ) and had a laugh or two with respect to the blog posting “Canada: This Union can’t be Saved”. This blog is updated daily and from what I observed, often has several posts a day. I enjoyed that the blogger actually provides the original content/news article source after his commentary so that the passerby blog visitor is not left believing his summary and opinion of the issue. The visual organization of the blog is simple and clean with a white background, and posts clearly highlighted in the right margin. This made it very easy and pleasant to navigate.
BLOG #2
http://www.littlehappybunnies.com/
Although an entirely random blog with regards to content, this was an interesting (and equally disturbing) place to visit because it had various blog technology applications (new…at least for me) in use regularly by the user such as podcasts, blogrolling, and a photoblog. I am also learning that an RSS feed must be something normal, but I don’t quite know what. I still get a little afraid to go clicking too many things because I never know what is going to happen to my computer.
The content being updated was, for the most part, personal comments or item posting about random things such as the lyrics and a sound file for “This land is your land…”, which was kind of fun to turn on and listen to while reading strange posts on the little happy bunnies blog. Odd enough, I think I may become a regular visitor.
The layout of the blog however, is a bit dull. It could use a better color scheme and style. The current grey, white and orange leaves much to be desired.
BLOG #3
http://onedrawingperday.blogspot.com/
This blog features one different art graphic drawing daily and is accompanied by a quote reflective of the drawing. The drawings are in a style similar to that of Neil Gaiman, a british graphic artist/novelist. As a result of my visits to this blog, I have revisited the topic of blogrolling, as people often write the blogger to ask permission to blogroll, which I still don’t entirely understand: a link to other blogs? an advanced blog of sorts? a way for blogaholics to keep blogging?
Regardless, I chose this blog because I’m a fan of Neil Gaiman and so I enjoyed the way it placed the visual focus on the graphic art by providing medium to large size images.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

other frustrated Canadian liberals: I ended up at this strange blog titled ‘European Ethnocentrism’, and even though the title was creepy…

LOL

No my dear Kate, you did not find another frustrated Canadian liberal. On the contrary. However, thanks for visiting and it appears you at least found some things interesting that you read. That's always good, I guess. Tell me though, why did you find the title "creepy"? What was it that was unpleasant in your mind? I'm authentically curious. I hope it is not something like you had visions of marching Nazis or something to that effect just because ethnocentrism and european were placed together.

Kate UF said...

Dear...umm..Ethnocentrist? ;-)
I'm happy to see that you ended up at my blog.
Yours helped me to complete a project for a technology class as you have probably figured out, and I did enjoy visiting...it was fun...not to mention some of my classmates also visit your website now. (I'm a Spanish Lit M.A. student btw).
I hope my comments about your blog weren't misleading. The title simply caught me off guard since I spent four years studying Anthropology and when I saw the word ethnocentrism...I thought, how strange! BUT...interesting. I do realize that you aren't Canadian or a frustrated liberal LOL...probably a good thing for you because I could rant and rave forever about the new conservative Prime Minister leading my country...haha. It is funny however that I ended up at your blog because of that one post with canadian content.
Anyway...I love that you comment about articles and provide the source...you've got a good sense of humour and I enjoy the content.
Well, what's your name anyway Mr or Mrs European Ethnocentrism?
Cheers,
Kate

Kate UF said...

ETHNOCENTRIST: This is my Response to the post on your blog "Our Future":
Ok...Ethnocentrist..Hans...Steve...comments like these make me wonder about IQ levels...seriously, I wouldn't say that I am a bleeding heart...but I do believe that we (those of us who live in more fortunate nations- white or otherwise) have a responsability to help any person that is suffering/impoverished...ie:dying for no good reason at all. I don't feel that money hand outs or simple food drop offs help impoverished countries rather a commitment to help rebuild/plan how to get other countries on their own two feet would be a good start.
This doesn't mean that we abandon our own country's problems...simply that we make a commitment to help to the best of our ability...
You don't get to choose what society you are born into...some of your comments have made you sound heartless, far from intelligent...and well..."damage to the white world"...what the 'f' kind of message do you think you're sending out? Or do you care...perhaps not.
Ethnocentrist...this is what originally made me choose "creepy" to describe my initial reaction...maybe I was correct after all. (?)
Kate

Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering, Kate. I will respond to your comments on my blog and post it here as well later today.