Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Let me TIFLE you about my ideas...
Research brainstorming paths:
I was originally thinking about how I could further an investigation concerning CMC and Cultural awareness/interaction. I personally have enjoyed my experience in the Language lab with SPN 1130 and 1131 classes at UF because they attempt to combine technology and cultural connections…so I thought, hmmm…how could the combination of CMC Culture be most effective when concerning Blogs, Chats, language lab activities etc. How does the L2 teacher successfully incorporate these mediums into the classroom activities whereby they maintain relevance and efficacy? How do you measure the success/hindrance?
So from this preliminary brainstorming I began to wander toward the thought of L2 distance learning. How the heck do those students do it at home, on their computer, all alone?? While studying independently is there any real cultural connection? Would improved CMC cultural activities/connections improve the learning experience??
This path started for me because I have an ex-student from SPN 1130 who got married to an Australian in what she thought was her last semester…come to find, she needs to take SPN 1131 but had already planned her move to Australia. So she decides to finish SPN 1131 through internet distance learning while she’s starting her new life in Aussielandia. Every now and then she would write me with some question and I would email her a response or we would chat through MSN…I gave a mini lesson on the subjunctive one night through MSN…that was fun!
But I digress…I began to wonder about how L2 distance learning programs could be improved through the mix of CMC, CMC cultural oriented activities, online Spanish TA’s / ‘virtual tutors’ etc.My next question was, what about the existing success rate of hybrid Spanish classes at Universities and Community colleges?

No comments: