Monday, December 03, 2007




I remember the day that my Dad told me I was going to have a sister.
It was just 2 hours before my 20th birthday.

I thought he was calling to say happy birthday. I was driving, snow was falling and he said....

"I have a birthday surprise for you....remember how you always wanted a sister? Well...you're going to have one."

Then the phone disconnected.

I was in disbelief...confusion, I even cried, I don't know why. Then, I became overwhelmed with joy.

A little over a month later, my sister, Keisha Stefanie, was born in Port-au-Prince Haiti.

I spent that Christmas with my Dad and my Grandmother in New Brunswick. He brought me a picture of Keisha at birth with the details of her weight and length.

As I looked at her picture, I knew immediately...we will be the best of friends and I will love her always. Even though I am 20 years her senior...I will be involved in her life and I will beat the crap out of the first boy to break her heart. JUST KIDDING....anybody who knows Keisha KNOWS that she will first break a heart, then have her heart broken....regardless, I will be available on the phone to tell her that it all gets better.

The news of her existence was the best birthday present I've ever received.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KEISHA! Love you.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

she is darling...what a beauty.
you too!
such a sweet post~

Kate UF said...

Thanks Amanda! I just love her so...