Thursday, December 06, 2007

"Let you alone! That's all very well, but how can I leave myself alone? We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"

Fahrenheit 451...I remember reading it for the first time, turning every page with fervor...

Yesterday, during an interview, a woman told me about how she posted for community prayer that people pray for those who want to pray but aren't able to. Later she was approached by someone who thanked her and said that it meant a lot to him because one of his parent's had alzheimer's and probably wasn't able to pray anymore alone given the mental status taken by the disease.

Tears were filling my eyes as she told me this. My Mum lost her Dad to Alzheimer's and my last memory of my Grandpa was from a time when we visited him in the hospital. He had such a sweet, gentle smile. I remember my Mum saying, Dad, it's me, Diana.

I later thought about my Grandmother's funeral service. It was held at the Lutheran Church in Norquay, just down the street from my Grandma's house. Everyone came. The Church was filled and I felt so much love and concern for her. She was so soft and lovely. I was happy thinking about how she'd finally see my Grandpa again after so long without him.

Once, on the phone, she said to me...Kate, all of my grandchildren are talented and beautiful but you are the only graceful one. I'll never forget hearing her compliment that because I always felt that it was a quality passed from her to my Mother and from my Mother to me.

It's simple what this woman asked of the congregation and at the same time it is extremely thoughtful...those people who would like to pray but perhaps aren't able to, given circumstances, that we pray for them, that their thoughts, voices and prayers are heard.

I really appreciated that this woman shared this story with me.

No comments: